Friday, September 6, 2019

Why A New Blog?


The other day, after scrubbing the last of the Mac n’ Cheese lunch dishes, I looked up from my sudsy sink to find myself alone. All my children were present and accounted for, spread out before me as they played at some sloth drama with magnetic tiles and bungee cords. But they weren’t demanding my attention, my presence, or my involvement. I had been left, alone.

Looking at the cleared table, the empty sink, and the swept kitchen, I wondered, “Now what?”

It’s a new season for me. My children still clamor for me at times during the day, usually as soon as I dare to make a phone call, but there are also many moments when they prefer to be left to themselves in imaginary play, moments of empty space when my mind can contemplate life and think in full sentences. So now what do I do? How do I redeem that gift of time? There are always a million chores or projects to work on, but it has long been my ambition to write. As a student I read through my classics, labored through grammar, and finally earned a degree in writing—and then, through six long childless years, couldn’t think of anything to say even though I had plenty of time to think about it. Then I got married and had kids and finally thought of plenty to say, but no time to do it. Until now. Lord-willing, this blog will be a place where I can regularly articulate the thoughts that have accumulated in my head. Hopefully this writing will not only be a practice to encourage myself in truth, but a way to pass on encouragement to others.

Why “Persevering Mama”?

Actually, the title I had in mind was “No Makeup Mama,” a place to take a good look real life through the framework of Scripture—written by a mommy who doesn’t wear makeup. However, that blogspot was taken and you had to have permission to see it. I didn’t ask any questions; just moved on.

From there, I pondered “Heavenward Mama” or “Heavenward Heart,” but that sounded a little lofty for articles written in the midst of preschool twin warfare. Then I turned to some of my own writings for inspiration, devotions I had delivered at baby showers. I thought of “Run, Mama, Run” and all its variations, but of course jogging moms had already taken those options. “Write, Mama, Write” was also claimed. Then I tried “Persevering Mama.” That was available, but I wasn’t sure I liked it.

While I was pondering my options, the news broke about Joshua Harris’ divorce and announced departure from Christianity. As I read the stories and wondered and prayed for him and his family, I knew then that “Persevering Mama” was the right title for this new venture. After all, the goal is to persevere—in faith, in calling, in motherhood, in family, in ministry, in hope.

Why “persevere”?

Persevere: “to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly.” (Taken from www.dictionary.com)

As a stay-at-home wife and mom of four, it may feel like I have no choice but to persevere. I have people depending on me to persist. If we’re are going to eat, I’m going to have to either pull food out of the fridge or drive somewhere to purchase it. If I want to have clean clothes to wear, I must do laundry. If I want a clean house, it’s time to get out the broom and vacuum. You could say that doing your bit day in and day out is, in some form, persevering. But is that it? Just persist to survive? The question is, what’s the point of my persistence? Do I “maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragements”? If so, what’s the purpose?

The apostle Paul puts it to us simply: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). Do all of life in a way that God is praised, is prized, is hallowed. Have children to the glory of God. Get out of bed after little sleep to the glory of God. Clean poop out of the bathtub to the glory of God. Wipe drippy toddler noses to the glory of God. “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ” (Colossians 3:23-24). Cook heartily in the kitchen to feed clamoring children, and sweep up heartily after the baby has cast its carefully cubed food onto the floor. Wash, fold, and sort laundry heartily (over and over again) as you are doing it for the Lord. “Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.[…] Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality” (Romans 12:11, 13). Show hospitality to that new mom in the neighborhood with three little kids and no family in town. Invite her into your home—your busy, crazy, non-HGTV home. Do it with zeal. Why? “[L]et your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16b). Live in such a way so that not only do you cultivate a heart of thankfulness and awe of God for His goodness and mercy, but so that others will also see God for who He is and join you in worshiping Him.

Motherhood isn’t just about persisting. Life is more than a matter of survival. There is a God-given purpose to it. I want to persevere with that purpose—to encourage myself and my family look to Jesus, to love Him with our minds and hearts, and then to practically serve and speak to others in ways that they see His greatness and worth, His power and wisdom, His love and mercy, His sufficiency and abundance, and their need of Him.

How do we maintain a God-glorifying purpose in our callings, even the most mundane ones? Where do we find the strength and power to persevere not just in our duties, but in our attitudes and delights?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2

We look to Jesus, to His Word, His works, His mighty deeds, and His commands. We consider the witnesses—those who have gone before us and finished the race. We look to those running with us—our family and friends in faith. We remember together what Christ has already done in our lives, the ways we have already seen His sustaining faithfulness, and we trust Him with our futures. We look to Him in His victory, and we run to Him.

Persevering Mama doesn’t exist because I’ve arrived. It exists because I haven’t. I’m still trying to run, and I want to get better at it. This blog is an encouragement to my own soul to persevere—to look to Jesus in such a way that I can love the husband, children, friends, neighbors, and church He has put in my life. Some of the posts will be funny and practical. Some will be testimonies of sustaining grace in dark times. All will be written in the hope of fixing our eyes on Jesus so that we can persevere in the purpose of loving Christ more.

Persevering Mama isn’t about touting the victories of one woman. It is about encouraging myself and others to persevere, through biblical encouragement, personal testimonies, and real life humor. If I have learned anything, it is that we run hardest and fight best when we run together, when we fight for each other. Persevering in purpose—living to the glory of God through short nights, long days, and hard relationships in an imperfect world—isn’t easy, but it is easier when done together. Together, let’s fix our eyes on Jesus. Together, let’s run this race set before us. Together, let’s persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment