Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Snowbound or So Blessed? My Winter Heart-Check

Sometimes, we just feel stuck...


Every year as I shiver under a pile of blankets, my husband asks something like, “Wouldn’t you like to be on a beach right now?” “No,” I answer. While he was only teasing, he still accuses me of being masochistic. I point out the logistics of such a venture with four our kids, and we add more blankets to the pile. But this year I realized something: even if it were easy to manage, I still wouldn’t choose a yearly retreat each winter.

Why? Why choose to stay in winter? I suppose part of it has to do with how you view winter. Consider what God promised to Noah back when He painted the first rainbow across the sky:

“[T]he Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” (Genesis 8:21b-22, emphasis added)

Winter is part of a promise. It’s a season God created (Psalm 74:17), sustains, and sends as evidence of His faithfulness. Even so, how often do we dare to perceive it as such? Rainbows are beautiful reminders of God’s mercy. But snow?

Most of my life, winter didn’t come with a break. When it got colder, we put on more layers. When our 1920s radiators weren’t enough to fight the drafts, we put our dogs under the blankets with us. My parents may have desired a warm vacation, but Florida wasn’t in the budget. Instead, we went to the tropics exhibit at the zoo. Mostly, we came to understand that winter was a part of life. We all had fits of grumbling, but there it was. We couldn’t hibernate during it. We couldn’t fly away from it. Only one option remained: go through it.

We did. More than that, with my parents’ help, I learned to look for the unique blessings and rhythm of the season. For a kid in the inner city, winter had benefits. For a few months, a beautiful blanket of snow hid the crumbling asphalt. Abandoned parking lots became glittering fields for dog sled runs. There was quiet. No drug dealers or prostitutes roamed the sidewalks. There was peace. The earlier sunsets, cold temperatures, and snow were perfect excuses not to stay out late in the evening, but to enjoy more time at home and turn in early with a good book. Winter was like a freshly-washed sheet God used to tuck in a child over-wrought from all his warm-weather work and play. It was rest. Winter meant curling up in my armchair and sipping cocoa while listening to Tchaikovsky or piecing together jigsaw puzzles at the dining room table. It was a season of simple contentment.

That was my childhood. Now I share winter with four young children and the season sometimes involves more war than peace when a polar vortex keeps us inside day after day after day. Even now Lego structures, magnet tile mansions, and blanket forts fill the house. Somehow the kids avoid bouncing them down even while trampling the unsuspecting parent who dares to cross the racetrack to fetch food out of the fridge. There are beautiful days when the temperature rises above 15* and everyone bundles up in a complicated layering of snow pants, jackets, boots, hats, and mittens. Once my polar explorers finally totter out the door, I might get a peaceful 20 minutes. If the snow is right for sculpting, I may get over an hour. But there are days when they stomp back inside after 15 minutes declaring it is too cold outside and start dumping gear all over the floor. That’s when it begins to feel there is no escape.

The question I must ask myself at this point is, “does there need to be an escape?” What about winter makes me deserve an escape? Maybe it is uncomfortable, but has God failed to supply us with what we need? Perhaps what needs to change isn’t my location or circumstance, but my attitude.

That’s the heart of the issue: attitude. I don’t have a problem with sunshine and warmth, and I strongly support going on family vacations. There are lots of good reasons to travel south during the winter and those who get the chance to should thank God for His good gift. Maybe someday we will travel south too, but not every year. Here’s why: when we build a yearly ritual into our calendar, we are constructing a habit.

Habits aren’t always bad, but they can feed attitudes. Consider if I get into a pattern of telling myself that when I feel stuck in a place that’s uncomfortable and inconvenient, it’s okay to get away from it. The circumstance doesn’t have to be winter. It could just be the ordinary grind of stay-at-home-mom life. I love my kids—but I also crave time away from them and their craziness. Anytime their grandparents offer to take them, the kids are available and I make my plans. While the break itself is innocent, that attitude of entitled escape can become an expectation in my own soul. Soon enough, I fixate on getting an escape and stop looking for God’s grace at work in and around me. Instead of trusting the Good Shepherd for His wise provision, I start looking for circumstances I think would be better pastures. But the fact of the matter is that His sovereign love has placed me here, at home with kids in winter. Consider Psalm 139:16b: “in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” Every one of them—even cold and crazy days. What if instead of looking for a way to escape, I said to my soul, “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24), and then looked for reasons to be glad in it?

The saying is “bloom where you’re planted.” In Minnesota, that includes blooming in winter. This season isn’t our enemy; it’s a season from God. God is still on the throne of heaven commanding an unchanging sequence of seasons because of His mercy toward His creation. He will not leave us in winter forever, just long enough to do us good. To everything there is a season, and the unwavering hope in every season is that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). As snowflakes fall, may we train our hearts to see the glory He is revealing to us instead of merely looking for something “greener.” May we find our contentment in His provision, our peace in His perfect plans for us, and our hope in knowing He who sends snow will also send spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment