| Hospitality doesn't mean the table is flawless, but that it is full. |
It’s a Thursday evening in June. You’ve just started busing dirty
supper dishes to the counter—the sink is already filled with dishes from
earlier meals in this B.D. (Before Dishwasher) era. The phone rings. Leaving
the dog to prewash the casserole dish, you answer.
“Oh good! You’re home. Hey—we’ll be over in about 10-ish
minutes with a big bucket of ice cream. Make sure to have some bowls ready.”
Click.
Ten minutes. Never mind the pans. You have just enough time
to clear the table, wash and dry bowls and spoons for eight people, and make
sure that there isn’t any dirty underwear hiding out in the bathroom. The rest…
well, you don’t even think about the rest.
This was a normal occurrence in my childhood. There were premeditated
social gatherings on the calendar, planned in advance with time for extensive
cleaning, but most of our social life happened in those spur-of-the-moment ice
cream calls or bonfire-in-the-backyard invitations. The point was to spend the
time together, laughing at our experiences of life in an inner city, sharing
memories from vacation or parents’ childhoods, or rejoicing in God’s goodness
in providing kids with bikes, parents with cars. I remember many evenings of
full tables and good conversation, but not clean houses.
By “clean” I mean “immaculate”—homes with no visible crumbs
on the carpet or dust on the knick-knacks. Those houses were a minority. It
wasn’t that we didn’t care. I remember cleaning! It’s just that in certain
seasons of lots of children and ministry and work, things piled up. Lego
creations, markers and papers from craft projects, books from homeschool, baskets
of laundry (sometimes dirty, sometimes clean; check carefully), and the
half-finished games of Monopoly and Battleship littered the house. It took a
while to get to the dust on picture frames. The goal was tidy. You should be
able to find a place to sit down, a table to eat at, and a toilet and sink above
reproach. Dust bunnies were barely noticed anyway, overshadowed by the always
present “conversation piece” of unfinished house repair. Most of us lived in houses
going on eighty or ninety years old that demanded attention. When our bathroom
sink pipe refused to drain or be drained, we simply removed part of the offending
pipe and put a five gallon bucket in its place to catch the wastewater, which
would be emptied into the toilet (a great way to study water usage, by the way).
The repair was potentially complicated, so we lived that way—and hosted that
way—for years. It became its own kind of ice breaker with guests at the dinner table.
I never thought of it, except to warn my friends to let us know when the bucket
was getting full. We never thought of not hosting because of it. The fellowship
was more important than the fuss. And what do we remember most now? Chaos,
perhaps, but chaos dominated by friendship, warmth, and hospitality in Jesus’
name.
Today my husband and I live in a relatively young house, but
chaos remains a theme. With four young children—a collector, an artist, a
mother-in-training to animals and dolls, and a builder—there are days when
there is more tape on the floor than on the walls. It takes talent to do that.
While our kids are working hard at learning to do chores cheerfully, it seems that
the more they clean, the more they feel free to clutter. What’s a mom to do?
Locking the door and barring the entrance hardly seems an attractive solution
to the problem. After all, it’s fellowship that we need most right now—other
people to come and laugh with us through this tornado. But hosting people in
this? This jumble of dolls, paper, rocks, and magnet tiles?
While preparing to host a playdate this spring, I turned
into the monster-mom, banishing dust bunnies and stuffed animals with a fervor that
sent kids running. I had twenty minutes and every toy in the house seemed out
of place. Also, the bathroom vanity still held traces of yesterday’s dirt from
my diggers’ splashing hands. Scrubbing and sweating up a storm, I suddenly
stopped and looked in the mirror. What I
am trying to do? I asked myself. Who exactly am I trying to impress? You
see, the person coming to my home was my former roommate—that person I shared a
bathroom and bedroom with for four years. We had scrubbed and swept together.
We had seen each other’s dirt. Not just that, she was bringing her own four
young sons over to play.
I finished wiping the sink and put away the cleaning
supplies. The monster left. I made a cup of tea and told my kids it was all
right. It was all right. The house wasn’t spotless, but it would be just fine.
It was. As my friend wisely pointed out, “If I waited until my house was clean
to see people, I would never see anyone.” The seeing is what is most important.
Our eight kids ran amuck slaying dragons and making birthday parties for
stuffed bunnies while we shared tea and thoughts. We didn’t need an immaculate house.
We just need a tidied corner of kitchen to sit down for a chat in a house that
let our kids enjoy playing together.
We regularly host people—with children and without—in our
house. We do our best to keep things tidy, but mostly, we try to make it comfortable
and welcoming. We still fight clutter, but we have come to realize that atmosphere
is mostly about attitude, about a host with a heart at peace. In the last
minute visits of my childhood, I don’t remember my mom turning into a cleaning
monster storming the Lego lands of the living room. You just cleaned the bowls,
cleared the seats, and made sure the bathroom was decent. Love covers a
multitude of sins, and I suspect that true hospitality hides a heap of imperfections.
That’s likely why my memories are more about ice cream and laughter than
messiness.
So friend, you’re welcome. Give me a call. The house may not
be spotless, but if you give me 10 minutes, I’ll put the kettle on, make sure
the underwear is in the hamper, and that one bathroom is wiped clean. There
will be a comfy chair free for you. Better yet, as the days grow colder and we
Minnesotans can’t share a playdate on that neutral plot of playground, invite
someone into your own home. That other mom with toddlers and cabin fever? The
mom and kids who just moved here? Invite her and her kids into your home—your
busy and imperfect home. Share a cup of tea, share laughter over life, and
share with her that loving invitation from Jesus: “Come.”
No comments:
Post a Comment