Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Memorizing Scripture When You've Lost Your Mind: Four P's to Help Us Persevere



Once upon a time, I was able to go to the grocery store without a list and purchase all the necessary ingredients for a week’s worth of meals. I didn’t use bookmarks when reading, either. I remembered the page and paragraph I where had left off, even if I didn’t pick up the book again for days. And there was no need for a contacts list; the phone numbers were in my head. But no more, friends, no more.

You could blame it on pregnancy, or maybe age. You might even say this mental flakiness is caused by my four constant companions who are skilled in interrupting mommy’s thought train long enough for me to forget I ever had a thought. Whatever the cause, my short-term memory seems to have taken a long-term leave. And yet, now is when I could benefit from it the most.

In my last post, I discussed the need to stop listening to myself and start talking to myself. Nothing can slay a bad attitude better than the “sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Ephesians 6:17b). The problem is, I don’t always have easy access to my Bible in that crisis moment. Flipping through the pages of my Bible isn’t allowed when I’m navigating traffic with a screaming toddler in the backseat. Even if I were home simply flipping pancakes when my daughter walks in and bursts into tears, I seldom have my Bible open and ready next to the hot stove. Yet it is in those moments—when the fight breaks out in the backseat, when the child is fearful with sickness during the night, when I get a call while fixing dinner that a loved one is in the hospital—that I need that sword the most to fight through anger, anxiety, and discouragement.

The answer to this predicament is easy enough: memorize the Word. As writer of Psalm 119:9-11 explains, “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” The hard part is to actually do the answer—to try to memorize Scripture in a season when I can’t even remember my age without some quick math. How do you go about memorizing Scripture when you feel like you don’t have a brain? Intentionally—with prayer; paper and pen; persistent practice; and partnership.

First, pray. Ask God to help you memorize His Word. Bible memory isn’t easy, it isn’t something the devil wants us to succeed in, and it isn’t something indwelling sin wants to dwell on. Still, however frazzled and defeated you feel, God is able and willing to strengthen you to do His will. If you desire to memorize Scripture, ask God for the resolve and the help to do it. Jesus says in Matthew 7:7, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Memory for Bible is a good thing. Ask for it—and then persevere to work at it.

Second, use paper and pen to help you memorize. God will help us memorize, but it will take work. When memorizing a passage, open your physical Bible, read the verse on the page, and then write it out on a notecard or sticky note. Why so old-fashioned? Why not just pull the verse up on your phone and stare at it? For a couple of reasons: First, while smart phones have lovely Bible and Bible memory apps, they also have a lot of other apps that pull our attention away from the Word—because there is no time like devotions to check the weather, the news, email, or that text message that just popped up. When we step away from technology for a few minutes, we give our brains a better chance to focus without distraction. Second, muscle memory aids memorization. When I take the time to actually write out a grocery list, even if I lose that list I am more likely to remember what was on it. The act of spelling out and shaping each word with my hand helps cement those words in my brain. If I write something down a couple of times, I’m more likely to remember it.

Third, persistently practice the passage you want to memorize. Write the verse down on a few sticky notes and put them up in locations you frequent so you can review the verse multiple times a day: the fridge door, the microwave, the bathroom mirror, your closet door, your phone. Write it on a notecard and make it your bookmark. Before you read your book, read your verse. Before you read anything else for devotions, read your verse. Before you go to sleep at night, read your verse. Say it out loud, write it down, and type it out and text it to a friend. Practice makes perfect, so repeat, repeat, repeat!

Finally, find a partner who will offer you accountability and encouragement in your Bible memory efforts. This partner could be your spouse, your child, or a friend. Ask them to pray for you, to check in on your progress, and to listen you recite your verse. Invite them to memorize with you. Recently our family worked on memorizing 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a together. We worked on it daily at meal times, introducing a new segment of the passage at the dinner table where we discussed it and recited it together. My kids were eager to prompt or correct me with my memory faltered—and having them listen to my recitation helped their own memorizing as well.

Friends, it isn’t easy to get our brains to remember much in these busy days, and we can think up any number of legitimate excuses to push Bible memory off to a later date. Let’s not. The Word of God is worth storing up in our hearts. We need those words of truth to strengthen our hands, quiet our tempers, calm our fears, and help us discern the spiritual state of our hearts, our children, and our world. If we want the apt Bible verse to be on the tip of our tongues when crisis hits, we must first have it stored in our hearts. With paper and pen, practice, and partnership, let’s fight do just that. Let’s pray that God will equip our minds to remember His Word, and then persevere to memorize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment